One of the reasons why some people do not decide on building a house, has to do with the physical and emotional drain that it takes to do the paperwork, involving the acquisition of the work permits.

Picture yourself queuing for hours and, finally, when get to the window, they tell you that you have failed to submit this specific document without which they cannot proceed to accept your request.   Unfortunately, this a typical scenario for people who are unfamiliar with the requirements and the steps that it takes to comply with the bureaucratic formalities involved in the building process.

Therefore, let us go deeper into the matter…

What are the bureaucratic formalities I must comply with before building in Costa Rica?

  1. Verify that the piece of land is dully registered at the Registro Nacional (National Registry). Thus, it advisable to request a certification of the registered map as well as a title certification with the basic, numerical and literal information of the piece of land.  Please let us make an aside here to stress the importance that you, as a future owner, know the topography and the type of soil of the construction land.  Hence, it is advisable to undertake a soil study to ensure the construction.   The soil study is an important management input for entities such as the CFIA and the local government.
  2. Verify if the zone where you are planning to build has access to public services such as water, electricity, sewage system, street lighting, telephone service; and other details such as paved roads.  It is important to consult the companies in charge.
  3. Learn about the applicable municipal regulations related to certain criteria such as land use, Regulating plan and other.
  4. Find out if the land is located in areas of high risk of inundation or landslide.  You can request this information at the Commission for National Emergencies.
  5. Request the fluvial alignment, which is the visa procedure where the distance that must be respected for the protection zone of the public domain channels is indicated. (It must be requested at INVU and SINAC).
  6. Request a road alignment procedure at MOPT.
  7. Make certain that the engineering or architecture professional and/or the company in charge of the construction project is dully registered at the Federated Association of Engineers and Architects (CFIA).
  8. Carry out the digital procedure for construction drawings with the Manager of Construction Projects at CFIA.
  9. Obtain the municipal construction permit.  
  10. Manage the insurance policy that hedges risks associated with the personnel in charge of the construction project.  
  11. Any other permit or specific procedure pertaining the type of construction project.

Construction Company that Offers Advice on Procedures and Permits

By the way, taking account of all the procedures involved,  at EGSU Homes, we offer our clients our broad experience in the registration of projects at the Federated Association of Engineers and Architects Colegio (CFIA).

In addition, we carry out procedures for the acquisition of the construction permit at any of the 82 local governments in the country, as well as the insurance policy that hedges risks associated with the construction, among others.

With our assistance, you can lay back, knowing that your luxurious construction project will comply with the existing norm in legal, technical and ethical terms. Please contact us for more information.